Friday, March 27, 2009

Chocolate Hotdogs

In an effort to empower my boys, I have been teaching them a little autonomy, bit by bit, in the kitchen. Under supervision, they can put a pizza in the oven after placing their choice of toppings on flattened dough and throw together Kraft macaroni and cheese with its ¼ cup of milk, butter, and processed cheese powder. On their own, they can make a handful of items: Top Ramen, turkey sandwiches, waffles with peanut butter, Hot Pockets, and the recently added hotdog. So Wednesday evening, after selecting the new menu item, nine-year-old Alex, independent of my assistance, proudly announced while carefully preparing his meal, "And now for the pièce de résistance, chocolate syrup!"

"Excellent," I murmured, not really attending to his comment. A couple of minutes later, I finally processed his statement (chalk it up to my interpreter brain where I lag behind, digging beneath words and signs, searching for intent and meaning), blinked and saw that, indeed, he was heartily inhaling two hotdogs couched in their buns, blanketed by a thick layer of chocolate syrup.

"This is delicious! I love cooking!" he exclaimed.

I kept quiet. After all, I did get the evening off from cooking.

LL, 3/27/2009. Prevail.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Hey. Chocolate syrup. . . ketchup, what's the diff. They are both condiments in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldnt've minded except for the skittles he put on top of all of that...very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I am laughing OUT LOUD! I've substituted chocolate syrup for jelly on a PBJ, but this takes it to a new level. Emma was looking over my shoulder as I read, and I think we may now be trying this entree at our house... I didn't mention the skittles. ;)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the sweet/salty thing. Salty hot dog begs for balance. Call it mole (that's mo-lay en espanol). No problema.

    ReplyDelete