Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 16, 2010, journal entry, Things that Make Me Feel Ridiculously Happy

13 miles.

I simply cannot run another mile on my broken-down Brooks running shoes.

I plan for about ten miles today as this is a rest week, and my legs ache in the constant low-grade soreness that tells me it is time to replace my shoes. I wonder if I will be able to eek out even eight today. I try.

I’m not sure which way I want to go. I think I’m gonna go north, but head south instead. When I arrive at an intersection, I decide to press on. Go straight. Straight, again. Turn left. Turn right. Turn right and left yet again, and I cobble the miles together.

I feel ridiculously happy as I add on the miles, even on running shoes broken down hard.

Things that Make Me Feel Ridiculously Happy

Adding one more mile on a long run. Simply because I can.

In that mile, thinking about the new running shoes I shall buy later in the afternoon.

The lilting incantation like blinking Christmas lights of unseen birds, their fluff-and-quiver of settling wings as they hide among the flexing muscles of tree branches.

Purple and cheddar-colored cauliflower, deep purple potatoes, fancy mushrooms, and golden yellow tomatoes from my favorite market Huckleberry’s.

The colorful vegetable stir fry I cook them in.

The peregrinations of shadows undulating under a waning and waxing moon.

The dress I am now wearing that makes me feel like I am a sunflower.

The fact that the chemical formulas for chlorophyll and hemoglobin are identical in amounts of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen, with their only difference smack dab in the middle of their chemical structures: chlorophyll has magnesium while hemoglobin has iron.

The color wheel.

Buying my 7th grader To Kill a Mockingbird. His acing the unit test.

Trees and my tree pendants. “Today I have grown taller from [running] with the trees.” (Karle Wilson)

Edible flowers.

My kaleidoscopes…through my BlackBerry viewfinder on various lights.

The weft of the pumpkin-spice pine-needle broadloom that carpets grey cement on my path.

My collection of silver dragon, unicorn, and river pendants. And my silver kaleidoscope pendant filled with exquisite glass crystals.

My stacks of unread books, books, and books. Inspecting the binding and cover of a brand new book I am about to read.

Giving my 4th grader my collection of Harry Potter books. His devouring of them.

Found birds’ shells of blue- and brown-speckled white-ivity and acorns.

Haiku.

My luna moth tattoo. THIS makes me EXTREMELY ridiculously happy.

Watercolor paint tubes and brushes in glass vases.

Visiting New York City in my 40th year and Central Park’s street artist’s whimsical bird painting on canvas that hangs between colorful dresses in my studio.

My 2009 Seattle Half-Marathon time of 1:47:43, ran all right-brained.

Daily running in the brewing anteroom’s flotilla of Dawn’s rising blue-red.

Glitter.

My new Asics running shoes.

~

The breeze at Dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don’t go back to sleep.
(Rumi, thirteenth century)

GL, 1/16/2010. Prevail.

1 comment:

  1. Something that makes me ridiculously happy: the slightest hint of glittery eye shadow to go with standard black work clothes. Clogs, whose colors speak of dance.

    ReplyDelete