Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 28, 2010, journal entry, I Had No Idea that Ducks Ate Acorns (Makes Me Wickedly Happy)

Six miles.

I had no idea that ducks ate acorns
.

I parked my purple car at Manito Park and ran west towards Cannon Hill Park, its perimeter lined with gorgeous oak trees. Ducks quacked and waddled, and I stopped suddenly, not to unwrap the organic peach cough drop to control an unexpected cough, but to observe the mallard ducks beneath the huge oak trees. They are eating acorns, and above them, in the oaks that dropped these acorns, is a scolding squirrel, chiding the ducks loudly, rapidly and rhythmically with a flick of his tail at every note.

I had no idea that ducks ate acorns. But, for whatever reason, seeing this scene, I am simply wickedly happy.

Things that Make Me Wickedly Happy

Running again. And the new running shoes I just purchased. I am learning to trust myself again, and the achiness I felt had nothing to do with my hamstring but had everything to do with the fact that the last time I bought running shoes was at least eight months ago. I was way overdue.

My BlackBerry on Binoculars pictures. Seriously makes me wickedly wicked happy. I A.D.O.R.E these pictures.

Rivulets of acorns running down the edges of curving sidewalks in the Grove of Oaks.

The Elmer’s glue I use to reattach the caps to acorns for the clear jars I use for tabletop displays along with the glasses of feathers and branch with cocoon. Vases and vases and vases…my Cabinets of Wonders.

The white tents of the farmers’ market. And the fact I can say easily after practicing to the rhythm of the step of my run, “Ted said, Sven, send ten tents. Sven said Ted, send ten cents. When Ted sent Sven ten cents, Sven sent Ted his ten tents.”

Odd combinations in preserves at the farmers’ market like blueberry with basil. Oh yeah, wickedly AWEsome on salmon.

Maple-leaf-yellow chanterelle mushrooms from Mushroom Farmer Bob. (Except that I just found out that his name is actually Mushroom Farmer Mo. Oops!)

Rainbow striped lasagna noodles

And the butternut squash lasagna made from farmers’ market butternut squash that tastes simply wicked.

Purple patent leather Danskos that my four–year-old client calls “glass shoes.” Ya gotta be happy when you look at your feet and are happy: I look at my purple glass shoes and I am wickedly wicked happy.

My kaleidoscope on a sunset.

The Moon, as She waxes and wanes, in the East and West and in the South. I was totally obsessed with Her this Fall. Uh…well, yeah… I still am …

My second tattoo of an orange underwing moth, Tattered Wings. I am seriously serious wickedly wicked, wickedly wicked happy about this.

And that ducks eat acorns. I seriously had no idea that they did

But I am seriously wickedly wicked happy about it.















































GL, 10/28/2010. Prevail.

1 comment:

  1. Things I love about this post:

    1) I would love the recipe for butternut squash lasagna! Please?
    2) Love the new tat! Might we hear the story behind the tattered wing?
    3) I love your binocular pictures, too!
    4) and pictures with lovely fall colors...
    5) and I especially LOVE the joy flowing through this post!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete