Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 21, 2009, journal entry, Red

10 miles.

The Winter Solstice is exactly one month from today when the lengthening of nights and shortening of days reverse, and the Sun’s ebbing presence begins the long process of returning to Earth through deep Winter.

Still, the nights continue to deepen, and wind bites, the cold air burning my face like scalding water. Crisp leaves crunch beneath my step like the snapping of fresh vegetables and boots stomping on gravel. Clicking pencils in my pocket are the rubbing legs of late summer grasshoppers as I run, jostling them. The sun’s glare bleeds color into the desiccated environment.

The sun’s glare bleeds color into the desiccated environment.

Suddenly, I see reds and crimsons, scarlet and ruby everywhere, the vivid red of my bloody knee after a spectacular fall. The varieties of overwintering berries tremble in wind gusts like apples in boiling water. Fallen apples, holding death and rebirth within, lay on the ground beneath the knotted limbs of trees. Matchstick branches embroider bands of red on the desolate environment, and cherry sacs hang on root-like tendrils next to sturdy evergreens. Pansies in velvet, low to the ground, pull me to my knees.

In grey and brown, pops of spicy red chili heat up the cold.








































The early cold snap in October robbed many leaves of obvious and striking color, but in grey, color still exists. I lace up my running shoes and head out the door, and on foot, I see pops of color…today, the reds…everywhere.

I am noticing red everywhere.

The steps of my stride.


Red Danskos on Red Canvas, 11/20/2009

GL, 11/21/2009. Prevail.

1 comment:

  1. Winter red is my absolute favorite! (Even more than purple.) :) Love the photos you have been putting on.

    ReplyDelete